Children, adolescents, and adults who have Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may be dealing with symptoms that include trouble focusing, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior.
Those experiencing ADHD do not need to exhibit every sign and symptom in order to be diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The only way to determine if you need treatment for ADHD is to complete a thorough assessment with a qualified healthcare provider. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Inability to pay attention for a sustained amount of time
- Frequently making careless mistakes
- Appearing not to listen when being spoken to
- Failing to finish tasks or projects
- Easily becoming frustrated
- Often losing books, keys, glasses, cellphone, and other important items
- Forgetting to pay bills, keep appointments, or take care of other responsibilities
- Having trouble sitting still in class, restaurants, or meetings; always appearing to be “on the go”
- Tendency to fidget, squirm, or tap hands and feet
- Interrupting others or intruding on activities
- Talking excessively
- Using items that belong to others without asking for permission
What you need to know
Adolescents and adults who struggle with ADHD can experience significant psychological distress. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is a treatable condition.
When people receive individualized ADHD treatment, they can learn to manage the symptoms of ADHD and achieve an improved quality of life.
- It can be tempting to think that since you have made it this far with your attention struggles, it is not worth the investment of formal testing. However, comprehensive ADHD testing from a psychologist provides more than just a “yes” or “no” regarding a diagnosis. Your assessment can illuminate what aspects of attention and focus are most difficult for you.
How is it treated?
The treatment for ADHD focuses on reducing your symptoms and improving your overall quality of life.
Wolfe Therapy Group will work to develop individualized treatment plans that best suit your needs. We work corablativly with your psychiatrist, neurologist or primary care doctor to monitor side effects of medication. Our team schedules regular follow-up appointments to monitor your symptoms and adjusts your treatment plan as needed.
Adults and children with ADHD can benefits from these methods as well:
- Daily routines
- Decrease in distractions, especially at school and work
- A balanced diet
- Regular exercise
- Adequate sleep for the patient’s age